Organ & Tissue Donation
Increasing Organ & Tissue Education and Awareness
Meridian Health is committed to partnering with NJ Sharing Network to increase organ and tissue education and awareness.
Through organ and tissue donation and transplantation, the New Jersey Organ and Tissue Sharing Network (NJ Sharing Network) saves lives, gives hope, and restores physical function. NJ Sharing Network is also dedicated to educating the public about the benefits of donation and transplantation and supporting both donor families and transplant recipients.
To learn more about NJ Sharing Network, call them at 1-800-SHARE-NJ, or visit their web site.
Reasons to register today and save a life:
- Over 110,000 people are waiting for organ transplants in the United States today. Close to 5,000 of them are in New Jersey. 18 people die each day while waiting.
- Your donation could save or restore health for more than 50 people.
- The decision to be an organ and tissue donor will in no way affect the level of medical care for a sick or injured person. The team of doctors and nurses involved in treating the patient are not involved with the transplant/recovery team, which is only involved after death has occurred.
- People of all ages and medical histories can be potential donors and the need is greater than ever.
- All major religions accept donation as a life-saving gift.
- Only 32-33% of Monmouth and Ocean county residents are registered to be organ and tissue donors…below the national average and 50% goal.
- You must renew your decision to be a donor every time your license or state ID expires. Saying “yes” is legal consent to the donation of your organs and tissue for transplantation and therapy.
- Register as an organ and tissue donor at your local Motor Vehicle Agency or online at www.njsharingnetwork.org, and share this decision with your family.
Register as an organ and tissue donor at your local Motor Vehicle Agency or online at www.njsharingnetwork.org, and share this decision with your family.
Southern Ocean Medical Center
1140 Route 72 West
Manahawkin, NJ 08050