About Our Cardiac Rehabilitation Services
Cardiac Rehabilitation is an exercise and education program designed to help patients with heart disease to return to full, productive lives. The program includes exercise, education, and diet counseling components as well as tips to reduce health factors enabling the participants to live healthier lives.
The Cardiac Rehab program offers the following benefits:
- Feel better and stronger
- Reduce stress
- Lower blood pressure
- Lose weight
- Gain self-confidence
- Reduce risk of future health problems
Following surgery or hospitalization, the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program provides an intensive 12-week program of monitored exercise, education and counseling support under the direction of a board-certified cardiologist.
Exercise is the focal point of the program. The program helps patients achieve improved fitness and prepare them to succeed in an independent exercise regimen.
The basic program is held three times a week for up to 12 weeks. Each session is approximately one hour long. Instruction and supervision help patients progress safely and gradually toward their optimal level of function.
- Continuous ECG and heart rate
- Blood pressure checks
- Oxygen monitoring (as needed)
- Blood sugar testing (as needed)
- A variety of state-of-the-art equipment such as treadmills, stationary cycles, ergometers and free weights, may be used to provide for total body conditioning
Educational sessions are integrated into the overall program to help patients gain a better understanding of their condition and promote healthier lifestyle habits. Family members are encouraged to attend.
- The benefits of safe and effective exercise
- Lifestyle modification of risk factors
- Improving nutrition (each participant meets individually with a dietitian to plan an appropriate diet)
- Disease management
- Stress management and relaxation techniques
- How cardiac medications work
- Coping with your emotions about the disease
Find a Physician
Looking for a physician in your area? By using our Physician Directory, you can search for a New Jersey physician by specialty, facility, town, and zip code right now.
For more information on any physician, call 800-560-9990.
Southern Ocean Medical Center
1140 Route 72 West
Manahawkin, NJ 08050
To learn more about our Cardiac Rehabilitation services, please call 609-978-3043.