More than 3,000 volunteers give their time each week at Meridian Health's hospitals. Yet, we still need more people who are willing to lend a hand.
People choose to volunteer for many reasons:
- Socialize with a variety of people
- Obtain on-the-job experience
- Participate in community events
- Care for patients or help caregivers
- Give something back to the community
- Serve with a dedicated and caring team
- To make a difference!
Southern Ocean Medical Center is fortunate to benefit from the service of more than 350 Hospital-based volunteers and 200 Auxilians, who invest their time and diverse abilities in Southern Ocean Medical Center and our community.
Meridian provides students with the opportunity to serve their community. Junior volunteers can work with patients directly, such as assisting caregivers on medical surgical units, delivering flowers, and helping with food services, or pre-admission paperwork. They can also perform duties that do not require patient involvement, like clerical tasks and assisting in the pharmacy.
While it is our privilege to have so many dedicated people volunteering throughout Meridian, there are some requirements that our volunteers must meet.
Each volunteer must agree to:
- Maintain hospital and patient confidentiality
- Comply with uniform dress code
- Attend an orientation prior to training
- Submit an application, health questionnaires and medical forms from a physician before volunteering
- Comply with educational components as required by regulatory agencies
- Give notification of absences
Junior volunteers must:
- Must be at least 14 years of age
- Fill out an application, which includes a parental consent and student evaluation form
- Complete a health questionnaire and have it signed by a parent or guardian before training
Opportunities for volunteering are enormous. Hospital-based volunteers work within the Hospital seven days a week from 8 am to 8 pm. Morning (8-noon), afternoon (noon-4), and evening (4-8) shifts are all available. Volunteers are asked to serve at least one four-hour shift a week, but are welcome to give more.