Speech-Language Pathology Services
About Our Speech-Language Pathology Services
Adults and children with speech, language and/or swallowing disorders receive state-of-the-art evaluation and treatment services at Southern Ocean Medical Center. Licensed and certified Speech-Language Pathologists are dedicated to maximizing each patient's quality of life through improved communication.
There are a number of disorders or conditions that can lead to problems with speech and/or language. People who are recovering from a stroke may have mild to severe communication difficulties. The Speech-Language Pathologists at Southern Ocean Medical Center also work with those whose speech difficulties are a result of neurological problems, stuttering or slurred speech.
A special focus of the Speech-Language Pathology services at Southern Ocean Medical Center includes comprehensive services for people who have trouble swallowing. A non-invasive test, called a videofluoroscopic swallowing functions study, can help to diagnose a swallowing disorder so that appropriate treatment can begin.
The innovative program includes comprehensiveevaluation and treatment for:
- Aphasia, which is difficulty communicating as a result of a stroke
- Apraxia, which is difficulty producing the sounds of speech
- Articulation disorders
- Cognitive-communication disorders
- Delayed speech and language
- Dysarthria, which is slurred speech
- Foreign accent reduction
- Language-based learning disabilities
- Voice disorders
- Neurological disorders
- Swallowing disorders
Symptoms of a Swallowing Disorder Can Include:
- Chronic congestion
- Coughing/frequent throat clearing
- Prolonged chewing
- Food left inside the mouth after swallowing
- Refusal to eat
- Holding pills or food in mouth
- Picky eating/unusual preferences
- Unusual head or mouth movements during swallowing
- Extremely slow eating
- Pain while swallowing
- Difficulty managing secretions/drooling
- Preferring liquids over foods
- Premature sensation of fullness
- Vomiting after meals
- Hoarseness during or after eating
Southern Ocean Medical Center, 1140 Route 72 West, Manahawkin, NJ 08050
Find a Physician
Looking for a physician in your area? By using our Physician Directory, you can search for a New Jersey physician by specialty, facility, town, and zip code right now.
For more information on any physician, call 1-800-560-9990 or 1-800-DOCTORS.