Geriatric Fracture Program
About Our Geriatric Fracture Program
The goal of the Geriatric Fracture Program at Southern Ocean Medical Center is to streamline the care of all geriatric hip fracture patients (those over 65) and to minimize complications while maximizing timely return to function. Studies have shown that quick repair of hip fracture reduces risk of death in geriatric patients.
What you can expect from the Southern Ocean Geriatric Fracture Program
- Combines the resources of orthopedic surgery, anesthesiology, internal medicine/geriatrics, physical therapy, social work and nutrition
- Surgical repair of hip fracture within 24 hours if medically stable
- Daily management of patient by orthopedic surgeon and internal medicine physician to minimize complications from bleeding, infection, delirium, and chronic medical issues
- Early and intensive post-operative physical therapy evaluation and treatment to maximize return to ambulation and independent function
- Close monitoring and treatment by all staff for delirium, a common complication after hip fracture surgery in the elderly
- Close follow-up with patient's primary care physician for further assessment and management of osteoporosis in order to prevent recurrent fractures
- Close monitoring and treatment of pain with a wide range of medications in order to allow for quicker return to function with decreased side effects of medication
- Specialized hip fracture nursing care to minimize development of pressure sores, infections and delirium
- Considerate social work and discharge planning to allow patient to continue to regain function at an appropriate rehabilitation or nursing facility
Southern Ocean Medical Center, 1140 Route 72 West, Manahawkin, NJ 08050
Find a Physician
Looking for a physician in your area? By using our Physician Directory, you can search for a New Jersey physician by specialty, facility, town, and zip code right now.
For more information on any physician, call 1-800-560-9990 or 1-800-DOCTORS.